The National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization (NHPCO) is the oldest and largest nonprofit membership organization representing hospice and palliative care programs and professionals in the United States. The organization is committed to improving end-of-life care and expanding access to hospice care with the goal of profoundly enhancing quality of life for people dying in America and their loved ones.
News and Information on Hospice and Palliative Care:
- NHPCO's Facts & Figures on Hospice Care in the U.S. released released September 2015
- NHPCO Facts and Figures: Pediatric Palliative Care
- Graph showing patients served
- Graph showing provider growth
- What is Hospice and Palliative Care?
- Key Messages
- Hospice Frequently Asked Questions
- Medicare Hospice Benefit
- Hospice: a Historical Perspective
- Hospice video series
- NHPCO Ethical Statements and Position Statements
Information on NHPCO
NHPCO Social Networking Directory – follow us and our affiliates
News from NHPCO:
- NHPCO Edge Offers Onsite Workshops in Hospice Compliance and Documentation (05/23/16)
- NHPCO Unveils New Fall Conference with Advance Level Learning (05/20/16)
- Legal & General America Partners with NHPCO (05/16/16)
- J. Donald Schumacher Presented with Leadership Award at National Conference (04/27/16)
- US and Tanzanian Hospices Celebrated for Outstanding Partnership to Improve Access to Care (04/21/16)
- “Mortal” the Pilot Documentary in Series about Life Issues and Choices is Released (04/15/16)
- Communicate Your Healthcare Preferences to Your Loved Ones Today! (04/12/16)
- NHPCO Celebrates Hospice Volunteers during National Volunteer Week, April 10-1 (04/07/16)
- Pet Peace of Mind: Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their Pets Close (03/24/16)
- NHPCO President and CEO J. Donald Schumacher to Retire (02/24/16)
- Response to Wall Street Journal Article on Hospice (02/19/16)
- NHPCO and Enclara Pharmacia Host Executive Business Summit (02/17/16)
- “Moments of Life: Made Possible by Hospice” Campaign is a Finalist in PR News 2016 CSR, Nonprofit and Diversity Awards (01/29/16)
- JAMA Shares Research Demonstrating Benefits of Hospice Care among other Findings (01/28/16)
- NHPCO Utilizing Unique Ways to Spread Hospice Awareness to Underserved Populations (01/27/16)
- NHPCO Welcomes Board Members for 2016 (01/27/16)
- A Great Response for the Annual Election (01/06/16)
Frequently Requested Press Releases from the past:
- JAMA Reports More Research Validates the Benefits of Hospice (November 2014)
- New Research Validates That Hospice Saves Medicare Dollars (March 2013)
- Report in NEJM Shows Patients May Live Longer with Hospice and Palliative Care (August 2010)
- Discussions about EOL Care Reduce Healthcare Costs (March 2009)
- Study from Duke Institute Demonstrates Important Cost Savings of Hospice (November 2007)
Press Release Archive - representative releases of key activities and highlights, by year:
Contact NHPCO’s Communications Department:
NHPCO offers free resources on a variety of end-of-life issues to people via our Caring Connections Web site and InfoLine. To help people learn more about these issues or to find a hospice, palliative care or other local resources, the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization encourages media outlets and other organizations to cite or link to these public resources:
- Caring Connections Web site: www.caringinfo.org – offers detailed consumer-oriented information on end-of-life issues including caregiving, advance care planning, pain, grief, hospice, palliative care and financial issues. Free state-specific advance directives and consumer resources are available to download.
- InfoLine: 800/658-8898– staff available to answer questions, find local end-of-life resources, offer support or send free brochures or advance directives.
- NHPCO's online 'Find a Provider'- provides a free searchable database of member hospices, palliative care providers, coalitions and other resources.
- Brochures and resources: Individual copies of these consumer resources are available free of charge via www.caringinfo.org or by calling the InfoLine.
NHPCO Information on: Novel influenza A (H1N1)