Ethics Advisory Council
NHPCO’s Ethics Advisory Council focuses on ethical issues identified by members of the council, NHPCO board and members of NHPCO. The council updates NHPCO ethics-related technical publications such as Ethical Principles and Developing a Hospice Ethics Council. The council NHPCO Ethics Council also develops position statements for NHPCO, such as recent statements on Palliative Sedation and Artificial Nutrition & Hydration. The council plays a key role in identifying issues that may need to be addressed through a position statement.
Expectations of Council Service
Council members are expected to:
- Participate actively in a majority of council meetings/functions. Most NHPCO councils meet by teleconference, and many meet monthly. Materials should be read prior to the next council meeting. Council members are asked to notify the staff liaison if they will not be available for a conference call or meeting. See Standing Council Attendance Expectations below.
- Meet deadlines agreed upon by the council. Council work often includes drafting materials for monographs, surveys, position papers, articles, etc.
- Answer questions regarding council work from NHPCO members. NHPCO staff will often refer member questions regarding council work to council members.
- Present/participate in educational sessions and forums.
- Work with the NHPCO staff and council chair to complete the council's work plan. Each year the councils agree to work on major projects over the year according to the priorities for the organization.
- Notify the staff liaison of changes in contact information.
- Council members are strongly encouraged to attend NHPCO events; however it is the member’s responsibility to assume any related travel expenses. NHPCO councils generally meet at the NHPCO conferences. NHPCO does not pay for travel-related expenses for council members.
If you are interested in serving on this Advisory Council, complete and return this document as instructed. Your application will be forwarded to the Council Chair for review; you will be contacted by a member of the NHPCO regarding your application status.
Anastasia Bell, Executive Office Assistant
Cozzie King, Manager, Strategic Programs