Professional Education Committee
Committee Description NHPCO's Professional Education Committee helps to identify professional practice gaps in the field, identify educational needs, advise NHPCO staff on the development and delivery of professional development activities, assist in the evaluation of professional development activities and in evaluating the effectiveness of NHPCO's Professional Development program. The following subcommittees offer opportunities for enhanced involvement in committee work (each committee member serves on at least one): Physician Education and Conference Planning Committees.
Staff Contact: Barbara Bouton, 703-647-6681
Expectations of Committee Service
Professional Education Committee Members should be prepared to spend 1-3 hours per month on committee work. Committee members serve two-year terms.
Meetings and Conference Calls
Committee members are expected to participate actively in a majority of committee meetings and functions. Materials should be read prior to the next committee meeting. Committee members are asked to notify the Staff Liaison if they will not be available for a conference call or meeting.
The Professional Education Committee meets bi-monthly by conference call on Wednesdays from 1:00 - 2:00 pm ET. These calls are scheduled for one hour.
The committee meets in-person at NHPCO’s Management and Leadership Conference and Clinical Team Conference. If the committee member is attending the conference they are expected to attend the meeting. Otherwise they are encouraged to attend the meeting.
NHPCO does not pay for travel-related expenses for committee members. It is the member’s responsibility to assume any related travel expenses.
Committee members are expected to serve on at least one subcommittee, which include:
- Conference Planning Subcommittees. There is one subcommittee for each conference. Members of these subcommittees members meet monthly for 3 – 4 months and spend 4 – 8 hours reviewing session proposals, over a period of 2 - 3 weeks
- Physician Education Subcommittee
General Committee Member Expectations
- Meet deadlines agreed upon by the committee.
- Answer questions regarding committee work from NHPCO members. NHPCO staff will refer member questions regarding committee work to committee members.
- Present/participate in educational sessions and forums.
- Work with the NHPCO staff and committee chair to complete the committee's work plan. Each year committees agree to work on projects according to the priorities for the organization.
- Notify the Staff Liaison of changes in contact information.