Quality and Standards Committee
Quality and Standards Committee: NHPCO's Quality and Standards Committee is responsible for promoting quality end-of-life care through NHPCO's national quality program, Quality Partners®. The Committee is also responsible for updating the NHPCO Standards of Practice for Hospice Programs, including systematic ongoing review and revision of the Standards document to ensure compliance with regulations and best practices. The committee conducts regular reviews and field testing of NHPCO Standards.
Staff Contact: Carol Spence, 703-837-3137
Expectations of Committee Service
Quality and Standards Committee Members should be prepared to spend 2-3 hours per month on committee work.
There are opportunities for greater involvement through subcommittee and special project work.
Committee members serve two-year terms.
Meetings and Conference Calls
Committee members are expected to participate actively in a majority of committee meetings and functions. Materials should be read prior to the next committee meeting. Committee members are asked to notify the staff liaison if they will not be available for a conference call or meeting.
The Quality and Standards Committee meets monthly by conference call for 90 minutes.
The committee generally meets at NHPCO’s offices in January or February. Committee members are strongly encouraged to attend these meetings.
NHPCO does not pay for travel-related expenses for committee members. It is the committee member’s responsibility to assume any related travel expenses.
General Committee Member Expectations
- Meet deadlines agreed upon by the committee. Committee work often includes drafting materials for monographs, surveys, position papers, articles, etc.
- Answer questions regarding committee work from NHPCO members. NHPCO staff will refer member questions regarding committee work to committee members.
- Present/participate in educational sessions and forums.
- Work with the NHPCO staff and committee chair to complete the committee's work plan. Each year committees agree to work on projects according to the priorities for the organization.
- Notify the Staff Liaison of changes in contact information.