NHPCO Standards of Practice
NHPCO Standards of Practice for Hospice Programs (2010)
NHPCO’s revised Standards of Practice for Hospice Programs (2010) is a valuable way to set benchmarks for your hospice and assess the services you provide. The Standards are organized around the ten components of quality in hospice care, which provide a framework for developing and implementing QAPI. Specific standards and practice examples are included for each component and appendices also include standards for hospice inpatient facility; nursing facility hospice care; hospice residential care facility; and pediatric palliative care (new addition). For easy reference, a crosswalk between the 2006 Standards and 2010 Standards is provided.
In addition, Standards of Practice for Hospice Programs (2010) have been compared with the Medicare Conditions of Participation (CoPs); The Joint Commission, CHAP and ACHC Standards/Guidelines; and the National Quality Forum Preferred Practices. A comprehensive crosswalk can be downloaded here.
View and download NHPCO Standards of Practice for Hospice Programs (2010). Navigational instructions of this user-friendly document are included.
- Purchase print and CD versions of NHPCO Standards of Practice for Hospice Programs (2010) at NHPCO’s Marketplace.
Access individual sections of NHPCO Standards of Practice for Hospice Programs (2010) below: (Please note these documents are quite large (20+ pages) and will require a certain
- Table of Contents
- NHPCO’s Quality Program and Standards of Practice
- NHPCO's Quality Partners
- How to Use the Standards
- Patient and Family-Centered Care (PFC)
- Ethical Behavior and Consumer Rights (EBR)
- Clinical Excellence and Safety (CES)
- Inclusion and Access (IA)
- Organizational Excellence (OE)
- Workforce Excellence (WE)
- Standards (S)
- Compliance with Laws and Regulations (CLR)
- Stewardship and Accountability (SA)
- Performance Measurement (PM)
- Appendix I - Hospice Inpatient Facility (HIF)
- Appendix II - Nursing Facility Hospice Care (NF)
- Appendix III – Hospice Residential Care Facility (HRCF)
- Appendix IV – Pediatric Palliative Care (PPC)
- Crosswalk: 2006 to 2010 Standards of Practice
- NHPCO Performance Measures
Help Desk If after reviewing the online resources you need additional assistance, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or the Quality Team at 703/837-1500.
Having trouble viewing PDF documents? These documents can be viewed by using Adobe Acrobat Reader. To download a free copy, click on the icon below: