Clinical Excellence and Safety
Ensuring clinical excellence and promoting safety through standards of practice.
Clinical Excellence and Safety includes the following aspects:
- Patient and Family Centered Care
- Patient Safety
- Environmental Safety and Security
- Emergency Preparedness
Members can view the Self-Assessment Checklist for Clinical Excellence and Safety
Pathways to Success
Pathways to success for demonstrating clinical excellence and safety include:
- Utilizing professional models of care in the delivery of patient care, i.e. evidence-based practice, safe practices.
- Achieving appropriate level of staffing to best support clinical practice.
- Setting organizational standards for documentation of medical records, reports, care plans, etc.—including standardized and agreed upon abbreviations, acronyms to support accurate transference of information to members of the clinical team.
NHPCO Standards of Practice for Hospice Programs
Members can view the chapter on Clinical Excellence and Safety
Resources and Tools
Members can view the following in Resources and Tools for Clinical Excellence and Safety
Essential Materials Find fundamental and key resources.
Web Links Find information on other institutions, organizations, and resources that focus on clinical excellence and safety.
Quality Partners@ InfoCenter Quality Partners @ InfoCenter offers members access to an online database with over 400 records of resources related to the ten components. Members can either search through the database or click on provided links that will conveniently display a listing of resources under the following headings: Essential Materials, Background Materials, Performance Measures, NHPCO Resources, and Resources Categorized by NHPCO Standards.
Visit Quality Partners @ InfoCenter to find these and other resources:
- Bergman, David A. January, 1999. Evidence-Based Guidelines and Critical Pathways for Quality Improvement. Pediatrics. Vol. 103, No.1: 252-232.
- Lipman, Toby. 2000. Power and influence in clinical effectiveness and evidence-based medicine. Family Practice. Vol. 17, No. 6: 557-563.
If after reviewing the online resources you need additional assistance, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or the Quality Team at 703/837-1500.
The following publication supports the many aspects of Clinical Excellence and Safety: