Building a culture of quality and accountability within the organization that values collaboration and communication and ensures ethical business practices.
Organizational excellence includes the following aspects:
- Commitment to measurable improvement
- Healthy organizational culture
- Ethical business practices
- Communication and collaboration
NHPCO has produced a self-assessment checklist for hospices to review their organizational excellence. Members can view the Self-Assessment Checklist for Organizational Excellence
Pathways to Success
Pathways to success for organizational excellence include:
Addressed in organizational structure: staff devoted to organizational excellence (e.g., ethics committee, compliance, human resources, and performance improvement all with connection to
- Ethics Committee Involvement: organization has access to an ethics committee involved in education and consultation across all hospice program staff, participating in both clinical and organizational issues, as a resource for organizational decision making.
- Attending to the culture to create an environment of excellence: innovation and change management needs purposeful attention.
NHPCO Standards of Practice for Hospice Programs
Members can view the chapter on Organizational Excellence
Resources and Tools
Members can view the following in Resources and Tools for Organizational Excellence
Essential Materials Find key resources that reflect upon the framework for organizational excellence.
NHPCO Resources NewsLine – Read Larry Beresford’s article on organizational excellence in his monthly series that focuses on Quality Partners - coming soon!
Web Links Find information on other institutions, organizations, resources that focus on organizational excellence.
Quality Partners@ InfoCenter Quality Partners @ InfoCenter offers members access to an online database with over 400 records of resources related to the ten components. Members can either search through the database or click on provided links that will conveniently display a listing of resources under the following headings: Essential Materials, Background Materials, Performance Measures, NHPCO Resources, and Resources Categorized by NHPCO Standards.
Visit Quality Partners @ InfoCenter to find these and other resources:
- Takahashi, Lois M; Smutny, Gayla. Collaborative Windows and Organizational Governance: Exploring the Formation and Demise of Social Service Partnerships. Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 2, June 2002: pp. 165-185. Sage Publications: 2002.
If after reviewing the online resources you need additional assistance, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or the Quality Team at 703/837-1500.
The following publication supports the many aspects of Organizational Excellence: