What you’ll find on this page:
- a concise overview of the CMS quality reporting program - present and future
- links to quality reporting resources developed by NHPCO
- links to quality reporting resources developed by CMS
The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA) mandated the initiation of a quality reporting program for hospices. The Center for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS) determines the quality measures that hospices must utilize and the processes hospices must use to submit data for those measures. Hospices that fail to submit required quality data in a given year will incur a 2 percentage point reduction to the market basket percentage increase for the subsequent fiscal year.
CMS maintains a Hospice Quality Reporting website with information on all aspects of the hospice quality reporting program. Be sure to check the CMS Hospice Quality Reporting website regularly for updated information and new resources.
NHPCO Quality Reporting General Resources:
- Quality Reporting Timeline (a schedule and summary of CMS reporting requirements)
- Quality Reporting: Past, Present, and Future - coming soon
January 22, 2013
Quality Reporting Requirements for Today and the Future
July 24, 2012
Implementing Predetermined Quality Measures
CMS Quality Reporting General Resources
What you should be doing now
- Hospices should currently be submitting data for the QAPI Structural Measure and NQF 0209 Measure for all of 2013 (1/1/2013- 12/31/2013).
- The website for registration, data entry and submission of 2013 quality measure data became available on January 1, 2014.
- April 1, 2014 is the submission deadline for both measures.
- Hospices that fail to report quality data in 2014 will have a 2% market basket reduction for FY 2015 (starts October 1, 2014).
NHPCO NQF #0209 Resources:
- Comfortable Dying Measure webpage (includes the Comfortable Dying Manual, Measure Logic Diagram, Comfortable Dying Data Management Workbook, and other related information)
The links below are for materials available on the CMS Quality Reporting website. These materials contain instructions for providers on the current data collection and reporting requirements and processes for the QAPI structural measure and the NQF #0209 pain measure.
- HQRP FY 2015 Reporting Cycle HQRP Training Slides
- HQRP Fiscal Year 2015 Reporting Cycle Requirements Fact Sheet
- User Guide for Hospice Quality Reporting Data Collection Version 2.0
What you need to prepare for
2014: Hospice Item Set (HIS) – A patient-level data collection tool developed by CMS. Hospices are required to submit a HIS-Admission record and a HIS-Discharge record for each patient. Information collected through the HIS will be used to calculate hospices’ scores for 7 quality measures. Click here for details.
- Data collection: 7/1/14 – 12/31/14
- Data submission: 7/1/14 – 12/31/14
- Penalty for failure to submit: FY 2016 (starting 10/1/15)
- Data collection: Begin dry run 1/1/15 – 3/31/15
- Ongoing 4/1/15 – 12/31/15
- Data submission: TBA
- Penalty for failure to participate: FY 2017 (starting 10/1/16)