What you’ll find on this page:
- a concise overview of the CMS quality reporting program - present and future
- links to quality reporting resources developed by NHPCO
- links to quality reporting resources developed by CMS
The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA) mandated the initiation of a quality reporting program for hospices. The Center for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS) determines the quality measures that hospices must utilize and the processes hospices must use to submit data for those measures. Hospices that fail to submit required quality data in a given year will incur a 2 percentage point reduction to the market basket percentage increase for the subsequent fiscal year.
CMS maintains a Hospice Quality Reporting website with information on all aspects of the hospice quality reporting program. Be sure to check the CMS Hospice Quality Reporting website regularly for updated information and new resources.
NHPCO Quality Reporting General Resources:
- NHPCO Regulatory Alert from May 6, 2014 – Summary of FY2015 Hospice Wage Index Proposed Rule – Quality Reporting Section
- Quality Reporting Timeline (a schedule and summary of CMS reporting requirements)
- Quality Reporting: Past, Present, and Future - coming soon
CMS Quality Reporting General Resources
What you should be doing now - HIS
2014: Hospice Item Set (HIS) – A patient-level data collection tool developed by CMS. Hospices are required to submit a HIS-Admission record and a HIS-Discharge record for each patient. Information collected through the HIS will be used to calculate hospices’ scores for 7 quality measures. Click here for details.
- Data collection: 7/1/14 – 12/31/14
- Data submission: 7/1/14 – 12/31/14
- Penalty for failure to submit: FY 2016 (starting 10/1/15)
NQF 0209/QAPI Structural Measures Update
- Data submission for NQF 0209 and the QAPI Structural measure is now closed.
- CMS no longer requires data collection or submission for these measures.
- CMS will notify hospices found to be non-compliant if it is determined that they have not met the reporting requirements for quality reporting for NQF 0209 and the QAPI Structural measure.
What you need to prepare for
- Data collection: Begin dry run 1/1/15 – 3/31/15
- Ongoing 4/1/15 – 12/31/15
- Data submission: quarterly starting 8/12/15
- Penalty for failure to participate: FY 2017 (starting 10/1/16)