Pediatric Hospice and Palliative Care
Children’s Project on Palliative/Hospice Services (ChiPPS), NHPCO’s pediatric leadership council, has been committed to making the best-known practices in pediatric palliative and hospice care more widely available to care providers and increasing the availability of state-of-the-art services to families since 1998. ChiPPS’ mission is to build capacity by identifying, developing and disseminating practical strategies that advance care for children and families coping with life-threatening conditions, dying and bereavement.
Donate online to support pediatric hospice and palliative care.
- ChiPPS Pediatric Palliative Care E-Journal
NHPCO’s Facts and Figures on Pediatric
Palliative Care and Hospice (April 2009)
Online networking that connects member
hospice and palliative care professionals and
volunteers from across the country (Note ‘Pediatrics’ eGroup)
- NHPCO’s Pediatric Palliative Care Online Training Series
- Other Educational Opportunities Calendar
- Caring Connections - NHPCO’s consumer engagement program offers resources on planning ahead, caregiving, living with an illness and grieving a loss. The website also contains educational brochures and information in English and Spanish language for parents of seriously ill children (see “Resources”).
- Partnering for Children: Pediatric Outreach Guide - a national awareness campaign to help get the word out about compassionate, family-centered healthcare for children with life-threatening conditions.
Pediatric Concurrent Care - Continuum Briefing (January 2013) - The Mary J. Labyak Institute for Innovation at the National Center for Care at the End of Life is please to offer a pediatric-focused Continuum Briefing which provides:
- Definition of pediatric palliative and/or hospice care;
- An overview of Concurrent Care for Children provision in the Affordable Care Act (ACA);
- Identification of the barriers for pediatric palliative care that are not addressed even with the provision for concurrent care in ACA;
- Key strategic opportunities for hospice and palliative care providers to expand the care continuum for children living with life-limiting or life-threatening conditions and their families.
- Concurrent Care for Children Requirement: Implementation Toolkit (Section 2302 of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act)
- Questions and Answers on Concurrent Care for Children from CMS
Standards of Practice for Pediatric Palliative Care and Hospice - NHPCO has released its first set of standards for pediatric palliative care and hospice developed by NHPCO and ChiPPS to address the needs of young people and families facing serious and life-limiting illness.
- Download the Pediatric Standards in PDF (NHPCO Members).
- Order NHPCO’s Standards of Practice for Hospice Programs (2010 version includes Standards of Practice for Pediatric Palliative Care and Hospice in Appendix D) from the NHPCO Marketplace online or call 1-800-646-6460.
- Read “NHPCO’s Pediatric Standards: A Key Step in Advancing Care for America’s Children” NewsLine article.
Resources from NHPCO’s Marketplace
- Visit Marketplace - Search for books and technical materials for or about pediatrics/children by typing: "For children," "Childhood," or "Pediatrics" in the search area.
Questions: Email email@example.com
Having trouble viewing PDF documents? These documents can be viewed by using Adobe Acrobat Reader. To download a free copy, click on the icon below: