Survey protocols and Interpretive Guidelines are established to provide guidance to surveyors conducting surveys of hospices. They serve to clarify and/or explain the intent of the regulations. Continuous compliance with the regulations and Interpretive Guidelines is essential for a favorable survey outcome.
- Medicare Hospice Interpretive Guidelines – Appendix M
- Medicare State Operations Manual, Chapter 2 - The Certification Process, Sections 2080-2089
- Hospice Related Medicare Policy & Memos to States and Regions
- CMS FY 2011-2012 Top 10 Hospice Survey Deficiency Tip Sheet
- CMS FY 2011-2012 Top 10 Hospice Survey Deficiency Audit Tool
NHPCO Member Resources
- CMS FY 2010 Top Ten Hospice Survey Deficiencies Tip Sheet
- CMS FY 2010 Top Ten Hospice Survey Deficiencies Audit Tool
- NHPCO Medicare Conditions of Participation (CoPs) All Inclusive Documents
- Hospice Interpretive Guidelines - L-Tag Quick Reference List (Excel)
- New Hospice CoPs: What Surveyors will Be Looking For, February 2009
- Where Hospices are Falling Short: The Top 10 Survey Deficiencies Cited by CMS - Newsline Article
- Survey Success under the New Medicare Hospice Conditions of Participation - 9th CTC Session Tape
Additional information can be found in the Federal Resources, Certification and Surveys section.