NHPCO’s Diversity Initiative seeks to increase access to hospice and palliative care services within diverse communities, especially African Americans, Latinos and other communities of color.
NHPCO’s Diversity Advisory Council provides information, guidance and technical expertise to NHPCO and its members related to serving diverse communities with the goal of increasing access to universal hospice and palliative care services for those who are underserved. For more information about the Diversity Advisory Council, click HERE.
To support NHPCO’s Diversity Initiative, donate online.
Mosaic 21 – African American Perspectives on Hospice and Palliative Care, features Dr. Geoff Coleman of Montgomery Hospice. He is also a member of NHPCO’s Diversity Advisory Council member. Watch Now!
Moments of Life – Learn how palliative care gave Deadra more moments with her family and community, Deadra’s Story
JPM Releases Special Issue Focused on End-of-Life Care in the African American Community Read more…
2015 Edition NHPCO Facts and Figures: Hospice Care in America Download here.
Opening access to everyone in your community requires a commitment to inclusion and a strategic approach to meeting the specific needs of those in the communities you serve. The resources below will help providers improve access to end-of-life care through a variety of program development, education, outreach and marketing strategies.
32nd Management and Leadership Conference
Preconference Dates: April 29 -30, 2017
Main Conference: May 1-3- Washington Hilton, Washington DC
- EOL: Inclusion and Access: The Manager’s Role
- EOL: Innovative Strategies for Engaging Your Latino Community
- Inclusion and Access Toolbox - This publication is a collection of suggestions and successes based on the thoughts and experiences of hospice providers in many settings throughout the United States.
- African American Outreach Guide (Abbreviated Version, 12 pages)
- African American Outreach Guide (Full Version, 40 pages)
- Chinese American Outreach Guide
- Latino Outreach Guide (Abbreviated Version, 6 pages)
- Latino Outreach Guide (Full Version, 30 pages)
Access other outreach guides and resources for specific communities and special populations HERE.
The goal of Moments of Life: Made Possible by Hospice is to educate the public about the choices we all have when facing a life-limiting illness, and how choosing hospice is not ‘giving up.’
Access consumer brochures available in English, Spanish and Mandarin to support for patients, families, caregivers and others that are planning ahead, caring for a loved one, living with an illness or grieving a loss. For more information visit www.caringinfo.org.
Diversity & Inclusion
- NHPCO’s NewsLine – Spring Edition 2016 (member access-only)
- Unequal Lives, Unequal Deaths – Read article
- Why Are White Death Rates Rising? – Read article
- Study finds disparities in end-of-life hospice care - Read article
- Why Diversity And Inclusion Will Be A Top Priority For 2016 – Read article
- “Let’s Talk About Death” – Read article
- How should we talk about end of life care? – Read article
- Black and Hispanic doctors still underrepresented in the U.S. – Read article
- Collaboration Announced between NHPCO and Morgan State University – Read article
- A Racial Gap in Attitudes Toward Hospice Care – Read article
- Kaiser Health News reports on the relatively limited use of hospice by African Americans, partly due to their faith. – Read article
- Addressing Health Disparities Among Older Asian Americans – Read article
- Cambia Health Foundation to Fund Training for 2,400 Health Professionals in - Oregon, Washington, Idaho and Utah – Read article
- Hospice care a need in the Latino community – Read article
- Why Are Latinos Not Using Palliative and Hospice Care? - – Read article
- National Resource Center for LGBT Aging - End of Life Decisions
- Pink Families - End of life care: Considerations for the LGBT community – Read article
- End-of-Life Care for an Aging LGBT Population - Read article
Is there something you’d like to see here? Email email@example.com