Hospice Standards of Practice
NHPCO’s Standards of Practice for Hospice Programs (revised in 2018) is available for download, free of charge for members. This updated version of the Standards includes recent compliance and quality requirements such as emergency preparedness provisions. The Standards are a valuable method for your hospice to self-assess the quality of the services you provide and to set performance benchmarks for your program.
The Standards are organized around the core components of quality in hospice care, which provide a framework for developing and implementing Quality Assessment and Performance Improvement (QAPI). Specific standards and practice examples are included for each component, and appendices provide additional standards for a hospice inpatient facility, nursing facility hospice care, and hospice residential care facility. Change tables are also included that outline updates from the previous version of the Standards.
Download specific sections of the Standards
- How to Use the Standards
- Patient and Family/caregiver-Centered Care (PFC)
- Ethical Behavior and Consumer Rights (EBR)
- Clinical Excellence and Safety (CES)
- Inclusion and Access (IA)
- Organizational Excellence (OE)
- Workforce Excellence (WE)
- Compliance with Laws and Regulations (CLR)
- Stewardship and Accountability (SA)
- Performance Measurement (PM)
- NHPCO Performance Measures
- Appendix I: Hospice Inpatient Facility (HIF)
- Appendix II: Nursing Facility Hospice Care (NF)
- Appendix III: Hospice Residential Care Facility (HRCF)
- Standards of Practice Change Tables (2018)
- Standards of Practice for Pediatric Palliative Care (November 2018)
Help Desk If after reviewing the online resources you need additional assistance, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or the Quality Team at 703-837-1500.
Having trouble viewing PDF documents? These documents can be viewed by using Adobe Acrobat Reader.