Under the direction of the Vice President, Finance & Business Services, this position provides support for the accounting functions of NHPCO and its affiliates, including accounts receivable, accounts payable, general ledger, marketplace, and responding to customer inquiries.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare, scan, and upload daily cash, accounts receivable, and netFORUM batches for the Solutions Center.
- Enter non-dues receivables into netFORUM daily.
- Prepare daily bank deposits, from checks received via mail, as needed.
- Create batches for NHF receivables received from website donations.
- Create batches from emails and faxes forwarded to accounting mailbox.
- Distribute batches to Solutions Center staff daily.
- Ensure that all batches are closed within 3 business days of month end.
- Prepare requests for refunds, process in netFORUM, and send to accounts payable for processing.
- Prepare monthly reconciliation of bank vs. merchant statement transactions.
- Assist with the online NHPCO Marketplace, including inventory, pricing, and coordinating at offsite conferences.
- Review and follow-up with customers regarding accounts receivable past-due balances.
- Ensure the general ledger balance agrees to accounts receivable aged report from netFORUM.
- Assist with accounts payable.
- Provide analytical support as requested.
- Handle routine telephone and email inquiries, directing to others if appropriate.
Support Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist the Vice President with audit requests.
- Assist in preparation of financial statements.
- Assist in the preparation budgets and forecasts.
- Serve as back-up for receptionist as needed.
- Assist in the financial tracking of sponsorship sales and corporate membership accounts.
- Assist in the financial tracking of associate membership sales.
- Assist in the preparation of sponsorship invoices.
- Assist in the tracking and proper budgeting of advertising sales.
Competencies for this position include the following:
- Knowledge of general accounting principles, practices, standards and requirements.
- Knowledge and skill in analyzing, reviewing, and validating financial data.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Skill in establishing workload priorities and efficient time management.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to use sound judgment.
- Ability to respond promptly, courteously, and accurately to customer needs both internal and external.
- Ability to work effectively as both an individual and as part of a team.
- Ability to maintain positive attitude at all times, especially when under pressure.
Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or related field preferred and/or at least two years of related experience, preferably in a non-profit or association environment. Other requirements include a working knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite; proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Dynamics 10.0 as related to bank reconciliations; and working knowledge of membership database systems as related to accounting (netFORUM preferred).
Competitive salary, excellent benefits, conveniently located at King St. Metro in Alexandria, Virginia.
To apply, send cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference “Accounting Assistant” in the subject line. Principals only / no phone calls please. Only candidates selected for interview will be notified.
NHPCO is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization is the largest nonprofit membership organization representing hospice and palliative care programs and professionals in the United States. Our mission is to lead and mobilize social change for improved care at the end of life, and we envision a world where individuals and families facing serious illness, death, and grief will experience the best that humankind can offer.