Director, Health Policy & Innovation
Under the direction of the Chief Advocacy Officer, the incumbent will lead NHPCO’s important innovation and inclusion efforts to expand access to high quality hospice and palliative care for a broad cross-section of patients and families experiencing serious illness. The incumbent will work with the leadership team and in collaboration with NHPCO members and external partners to assure access to high quality hospice and palliative care through existing and new innovation projects with a special focus on payment model design, implementation, and sustainability. As hospice continues to serve as a model for value-based care and a key component of health care delivery system transformation, the incumbent will support the strategic priorities of the Office of the Chief Advocacy Officer and will be actively engaged in all relevant policy, legislative, and regulatory activities.
Essential duties include the following:
- Design and influence the development of models of payment and delivery through engagement with providers, federal agencies, Congress, and external partners to expand access to high quality hospice and palliative care for a broad cross-section of patients and families experiencing serious illness.
- Provide expert technical and strategic support to prepare the provider community for and enhance provider participation in relevant alternative payment models including CMS Innovation Center models.
- Serve as a thought leader on value-based care and delivery system reform and the unique role of the hospice and palliative care community.
- Enhance educational opportunities by designing and hosting events including webinars, convenings, conference sessions, and other high-profile events and recruiting high profile speakers.
- Collaborate with external stakeholders to seek input supporting innovation and inclusion initiatives.
- Support the activities of the Office of the Chief Advocacy Officer by coordinating across departments on communications activities, policy development, member education and engagement, relationship building, and business development.
- Manage key designated external relations accounts with other national organizations and funders.
- Exercise financial management skills, including budget building, sound management of fiscal resources, and generation of revenue for Innovation & Inclusion tools and resources that enable the organizations to operate.
Competencies for this position include the following:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Maturity and confidence to work internally and externally with national, state and local leaders, partners, staff and consultants to support the organization’s efforts.
- Adept at building collaborative relationships and demonstrating diplomacy with diverse constituencies; strong relationship management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality, meet deadlines, and contribute to building a positive team spirit by balancing team and individual responsibilities.
- Demonstrated capabilities to be highly organized, detail-oriented, and possess the ability to manage multiple projects with minimal direction.
- Demonstrated independence to ensure a high level of customer service and maintain a professional demeanor under pressure.
- Ability to think creatively and strategically to execute organizational ideas, projects, and plans.
Bachelor’s degree is required, Master’s degree or JD preferred, along with at least five years of federal agency policy experience. Policy background in healthcare is required. Computer/technical skills for this position include high-level working knowledge of Microsoft Office and relevant organizational software.
Competitive salary, excellent benefits, conveniently located at King St. Metro in Alexandria, Virginia. To apply, send cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference “Director, Health Policy & Innovation” in the subject line. Principals only / no phone calls please. Only candidates selected for interview will be notified.
NHPCO is an Equal Opportunity Employer.