Hospice Quality Public Reporting (Care Compare)
Data Freeze Due to COVID-19 Public Health Emergency
- Due to the temporary exemption to the HQRP data submission requirements in responding to the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency, public reporting of hospices’ data will freeze after the November 2020 refresh.
- This means that following the November 2020 refresh, the data publicly reported will be held constant through the November 2021 refresh.
- No Provider Preview Reports will be issued for those refreshes that continue to display the constant or frozen data.
See CMS’s Public Reporting Key Dates for Providers_ Hospice QRP_October2020 (PDF) for more information.
CMS transitioned to Care Compare on Medicare.gov beginning in September 2020 to publicly report HQRP quality measures relating to care provided by hospice programs across the country. Care Compare is a streamlined redesign of the former Hospice Compare.
Providers should review their demographic information on Hospice Compare to ensure it is correct. In the event that your demographic data is not correct in Care Compare, you should contact your Medicare Administrative Contractor (MAC).
Data Displayed on Medicare Compare (Hospice)
Care Compare displays the following information per hospice provider certification number:
- HIS measure scores
- CAHPS Measure scores
- Public Use File Data (PUF) which includes
- Conditions treated
- Locations of care
- Levels of care
- Ownership type
- Date of Medicare certification
Hospice providers can access Medicare data sets for national comparison data.
Providers need to submit all Hospice Item Set (HIS) modification or inactivation records prior to the 4.5 month data correction deadline for public reporting for the modifications to be reflected in the corresponding HIS Provider Preview Report and public display, located on Care Compare. See CMS’s Data Correction Deadline Fact Sheet February 2020 (PDF) for more information.
Time frames for Hospice Data on Medicare Compare
Data on Medicare Compare is refreshed quarterly in February, May, August, and November
- HIS data is displayed based on 12 rolling months of data collection.
- CAHPS data is displayed based 8 rolling quarters
- PUF data is two years old when posted
Suppression of Public Reporting Data
Hospices with a QM denominator size of fewer than 20 patient stays (based on 12 rolling months of data) will not have the QM score publicly displayed
Public Reporting: Key Dates for Providers
See CMS webpage which includes information about data submission and correction deadlines and specific data reporting periods.
Link to CMS Key dates webpage
HIS Provider Preview Reports
- Preview reports of HIS data are available to hospice providers before every quarterly Care Compare refresh.
- Hospices will have 30 days to preview their HIS quality measure results beginning on the date that CMS makes the reports available. Should the hospice provider believe the denominator or other quality metric to be inaccurate, a provider may request a CMS review of the calculations contained within the HIS Provider Preview Report. Link to Request for CMS Review of HIS Data information
- The purpose of these reports is to give providers the opportunity to preview their quality measure results on each quality measure before public display on Care Compare.
- HIS Provider Preview Reports are accessible via the Certification and Survey Provider Enhanced Reports (CASPER) application, which is accessible from a Hospice’s “Welcome to the CMS QIES Systems for Providers” page.
- Providers will not be able to access their preview reports after 60 days from the report release date. CMS encourages providers to download and save their Hospice Provider Preview Reports for future reference, as they will no longer be available in CASPER after this 60-day period.
- CMS Hospice Provider Preview Report Access Instructions (PDF)