Stewardship and Accountability
Developing a qualified and diverse governance structure and senior leadership who share the responsibilities of fiscal and managerial oversight.
Stewardship and Accountability includes the following aspects:
- Administrative Policy and Procedure
- Strategic Planning
- Resource Management
- Fiscal and Fiduciary Responsibility
Pathways to Success
Pathways to success for demonstrating the Stewardship and Accountability component include:
- Aligning of budget development and financial resources with the organization’s continuous quality improvement goals.
- Ensuring that the governing board represents a diverse background—including leaders with specific expertise in quality, patient safety, or relevant clinical and non-clinical areas.
- The governing board reviewing periodically their individual and collective performance using established measures to this end.
NHPCO Standards of Practice for Hospice Programs
Members can view the chapter on Stewardship and Accountability
Resources and Tools
Members can view the following in Resources and Tools for Stewardship and Accountability
Essential Materials Find fundamental and key resources.
Web Links Find information on other institutions, organizations, and resources that focus on stewardship and accountability.
Quality Partners@ InfoCenter Quality Partners @ InfoCenter offers members access to an online database with over 400 records of resources related to the ten components. Members can either search through the database or click on provided links that will conveniently display a listing of resources under the following headings: Essential Materials, Background Materials, Performance Measures, NHPCO Resources, and Resources Categorized by NHPCO Standards.
Visit Quality Partners @ InfoCenter to find these and other resources:
Shiras, Peter. December, 2003. The New Realities of Non-Profit Accountability.
. Vol.8, No.4. Alliance
- Thompson, William. April, 2004. Are You Running a Risky Business? Caring. V.13 (4): pp 6-10.
If after reviewing the online resources you need additional assistance, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or the Quality Team at 703/837-1500.