NHPCO Position Statements
NHPCO offers positions statements and commentary on a number of issues listed below.
- NHPCO Statement on Resource Allocation
- Medical Aid in Dying
- Hospice and Palliative Care: Ethical Marketing Practices
- Ethical Marketing Practices Presentation (PowerPoint Presentation)
- Artificial Nutrition and Hydration Narrative and Statement
- Use of Palliative Sedation in Imminently Dying Terminally Ill Patients
- Palliative Sedation in Hospice and Palliative Care (PowerPoint Presentation)
- Access to Palliative Care in Critical Care Settings
- Care of Hospice Patients with Automatic Implantable Cardioverter-Defibrillators
Ethical Statements from NHPCO:
- NHPCO Code of Ethics
- Guide to Organizational Ethics in Hospice Care NHPCO offers this guide as a resource to hospice programs and professionals. Four key concepts of the hospice philosophy of care are presented. Seven organizational values are explained and applied to seven core operational domains of hospice provider organizations, with examples of how the values can be integrated into policies and practices in the domains. The intent is for organizations to use the framework and values in this document to inform development and implementation of organizational policies, procedures, and practices consistent with ethical standards resonant with the hospice philosophy of care.