Hospice Manager Development Program
Hospice MDP Module Overview | Two-Day Foundational Course | Additional Learning Modules | Continuing Education | FAQs | MDP Faculty | Learning Outcomes | Completing Level I Designation | Completing Level II Designation | Completing Level III Designation
The Hospice MDP is the only comprehensive management training program available that provides hospice-specific information and helps managers develop the skills they need to meet the challenges and changes they face in managing programs, systems and people.
This dynamic training and development program provides access to national hospice experts and peers in hospice management. The program is offered through multi-state training locations and online learning opportunities that can be accessed from your computer, at your convenience, using the latest innovations in web-based learning.
The Hospice MDP is divided into three developmental levels
Level I consists of a two-day Foundational Course and two additional online modules.
Level II of the Hospice MDP consists of “enhancement” modules, and managers select 6 that best meet their needs from a menu of options to achieve the Level II Designation of the Hospice MPD.
Level III of the Hospice MDP is the continued professional and leadership development of the MDP participant. Participants will undergo a rigorous assessment process, identify, work on and complete (or demonstrate significant progress toward) a specific professional development goal with a Leadership Coach, evaluate their work toward the goal and identify a goal for continued professional development following completion of the Hospice MDP Level III. All components are tied to the participant’s organization, ensuring that professional and leadership development advances the potential of the individual within the context of their organization and job responsibilities.
The Hospice MDP Foundational Course is the first step in a multi-level developmental program for new and aspiring hospice managers. Starting with the enduring and important values that undergird the provision of hospice and palliative care, the course provides information about hospice regulations and standards, includes a leadership assessment and model to help managers determine employee’s needs, helps develop critical thinking skills in the hospice manager and teaches strategies to employ during interviewing, coaching, feedback and evaluation processes.
- Describe a values-based approach to management/leadership
- Determine the hospice manager’s role in compliance and accountability
- Assess individual leadership styles and adaptability
- Discuss the relationship between your “style” as a manager and problem solving and outcomes
- Define, explain and identify keys to the effective use of behavioral interviewing, feedback, coaching and performance appraisal
Level I: (Both in person and online learning opportunities are available for Level I modules.)*
- Ethics for Hospice Managers – This Level I module of NHPCO’s highly acclaimed Hospice Manager Development Program is a four-week instructor-led online learning module.
- Managing with an Eye on Finances – This Level I module of NHPCO’s highly acclaimed Hospice Manager Development Program is available 24 hours a day 365 days a year through NHPCO’s Online Learning.
Level II: (The majority of these modules are available in online learning formats; some are available as live learning modules.)* A minimum of 75% participation in module assignments is required for successful completion toward the Level II Designation of the Hospice Manager Development Program. Nurses desiring continuing education credit must complete 100% of the module assignments to be awarded continuing education credit.
- Emotional Intelligence – This Level II module of NHPCO’s highly acclaimed Hospice Manager Development Program is a four-week instructor-led online learning module
- Inclusion and Access: The Manager’s Role – This Level II module of NHPCO’s highly acclaimed Hospice Manager Development Program is a four-week online learning module
- Managing Conflict in the Workplace – This Level II module of NHPCO’s highly acclaimed Hospice Manager Development Program is a four week instructor-led online learning module
- Managing the Changing Organization – This Level II module is a four week instructor-led online learning module
- Managing Systems and Programs: Financial, Trending and Reporting Applications – This level II module is offered as a live pre-conference session at select NHPCO conferences.
- Managing Workplace Negativity – This Level II module of NHPCO’s highly acclaimed Hospice Manager Development Program is a four-week instructor-led online learning module
- Provision of Services – A Regulatory Module – This level II module is available 24 hours a day 365 days a year through E-OL NHPCO’s Education Online Learning Portal NHPCO’s Online Learning.
- The Interdisciplinary Team – This Level II module of NHPCO’s highly acclaimed Hospice Manager Development Program is a four-week instructor-led online learning module
- Regulatory and Compliance Issues – This module can be completed by full participation in the following:
|Hospice Regulatory Boot Camp
|or||Hospice Nuts & Bolts© Program
The Corridor Group
If you have any questions, contact the NHPCO education team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
NHPCO provides continuing education for participants that complete the two-day foundational course of the Hospice MDP as follows:
- Nurses: 14 contact hours
- Social Workers: 14 contact hours
Continuing education is also available for other MPD modules available through NHPCO conferences, state organizations or online learning formats. See specific course information for more details.
Please note: If you are registering less than 2 business days prior to the module start date, there is a late fee of $25. See FAQs below for details.
Here is what participants have said:
- “Really glad I came to the program. Well worth the time!”
- “Today was jam packed with information—useful information that I plan to take back and share with my team directors!!”
- “As a new manager, after this program I feel more confident. Thank you!”
- “This course was a tremendous help in every area. With this knowledge we can improve so much—best hospice course I ever had.”
- “This was wonderful and very beneficial.”
- “The course not only allowed me to assess and look at the employees I have, but it makes me look at myself and my leadership style. I feel empowered me to make some changes in order to become more effective as a manager.”
For more information, please contact the Professional Education Office at 703-647-5178.